Friday, February 4, 2011

Tuckered out

Well, it's late - almost 10PM here in Central Time Zone land. G is snoozing away happily in our bed tonight, where Hubby took him; A was asleep there too, but he hates being left in bed alone, even when he has his brother around to use him as a plushie, so he toddled his way back out of our room not long after I got home from helping my mother out at her house. Now he's peacefully sleeping in my lap, Hubby is in the kitchen experimenting once again with something edible, and I'm hanging out on the couch, working on ribbons and bows for my store, contemplating finishing A's hat that I'm loom knitting, and generally feeling completely worn out and achy from all the shoveling that had to be done the last couple of days. I have muscles that ache that I didn't know existed, or at least I wasn't aware of their exact location, but trust me, now I know where they are. Oh, I know.

So in lieu of a super-long post like I've been doing, I want to toss up a couple of things.

First order of business, I've asked someone I've been following on Facebook for a while now, Kristine McCormick, to write a guest post sometime soon for me. She's the amazingly strong visionary of a mom to the beautiful and terribly missed Miss Cora, and thanks to Kristine, the Indiana legislature is working on passing through a bill that would help ensure that babies born there are all given a pulse ox screening before being released from care. I know, it seems counterintuitive that a mom who is a vocal proponent of natural birthing and parenting would actually WANT another intervention, but to me, this is "one of those things" - a screening that's quick and easy, painless and unobtrusive, and is something that can be done by an OB in a hospital setting or a midwife after a homebirth. I don't want to get into it too much now, because I believe firmly that sharing her vision is for Kristine to do and not for me, but I want to warn you, dear readers, that this is coming and I DO expect you to read, consider, and think this through.

Second of all, another blog I follow (it's on the sidebar!), This Side of Crunchy, has a great post up today about supporting and helping to better shape legislation on moms breastfeeding and/or pumping at work. This is SERIOUS stuff here and she has linked to a great opportunity for moms who have had to return to work while still breastfeeding or providing breastmilk to speak out as to how the laws pertaining to this issue could be better serving them. PLEASE go check it out, leave your commentary in the appropriate places, and then thank Crunchy Mama for posting this. Go! Do it!

With that being said, for now I bid you all goodnight, and I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. Never forget that life is precious and short. Make every moment count.

No comments:

Post a Comment