Saturday, February 12, 2011

Hectic weekends

We've taken to watching my semi-niece (brother-in-law's wife's sister's daughter) who is a month older than G. They get along famously, playing dress up and pretending to be monsters and torturing A. It's great because E (said semi-niece!) bosses G around like nobody's business. This is what he's usually doing to A, so it's amusing to watch him finally get the short end of the stick (and in all honesty, they get along really well otherwise, so I'm willing to let it go).


Oh, yeah.

Anyway, they play all sorts of things together, and they seem to get along pretty well. Add in the fact that we get paid for watching her, and I think things work out pretty well in the end.

This, however, is not the excuse I have for not posting in a few days. The excuse is actually that I've been working on items for my store, Happy Zombie Studios, which is accessible on Facebook. I'll admit that I have a bit of a beef with Facebook right now, because they've been deleting the pictures and profiles of breastfeeding moms and lactivists, and, well, it's getting old. Really old. Just a few minutes ago, in fact, I saw another loss pop up on my newsfeed, via another mom, a woman whose page was deleted because she had reposted a removed picture of breastfeeding twins. Oh, no. Darn you, ladies, don't you dare think about feeding your children the most natural, best food out there. Stop that. But please do wiggle your boobies at the admins on the way out, they'd like that.

Sorry.

Anyway, HZS is something I've been working on for a while now. The name first popped up some four years ago while we were living in another apartment just after G was born, during a game night, and I don't remember the story anymore but at the time it was hilarious. HSZ was born as a joke that evening, but the idea was constantly in the back of my head. Hubby and I joked here and there about what we'd use it as - a front for a mob organization, a way to spread our evil ways throughout the world ("grow your own damn veggies!"), and a menagerie of other things, but I never really thought anything would come of it.

Then one day I was walking through our local mall before Christmas and saw that someone had set up a lovely little horseshoe of tables littered with metric tons of baby items, most of which were pre-packaged baby hats and headbands that they were selling for several dollars more than the purchase price. I balked at them, because I had seen the individual products they were actually using in the store, and I knew where they had come from - and how much they had cost. I shook my head, frowned, and wondered if I could do that, too.

After all, I'm not known for matching colors.

But lo and behold, it turns out I'm at least halfway capable, because I'm not only assembling cute headbands and hats, but I'm also loom knitting hats for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers. Heck, I can make them for adults. I can make them for anybody. And oddly enough, I'm even selling them.

So please consider this to be my shout out to my fans and followers: I have a store! Go buy things!

Back to our regularly scheduled crunch next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment