Monday, February 7, 2011

Feeling the ache

Today has been an interesting day.

Earlier G's finger got shut in our office door because Hubby couldn't see him. A call to his pediatrician's office got predictable advice: because his thumb was swelling, and the skin was very taut and red, it would be better to err on the side of caution. So in we went, and after a surprisingly short wait, a couple of x-rays (for which he was SO still and attentive), and a lot of watching of Bubble Guppies on the Nintendo DS thanks to Hubby, it was concluded that nothing is broken, but using a splint for the next day or two couldn't hurt anything, and he'll probably have some problems with pain and swelling for the next week or two.

Better than the alternatives. That kid has had too many serious injuries as it is.


Thankfully, G was pretty impressed with the whole ordeal, and informed everyone he came into contact with (and some people who were more than five feet away) what his entire name is, how old he is, and what, exactly, happened to cause him to be at the hospital. That last part consisted of, "Daddy shut my finger in a door! Then he put an ice pack on my thumb! Then I got a shower, and that helped too!" I'm fairly sure he'd give a play-by-play of his entire day to people in the store if I let him.

That boy is such a trooper.

Today improved in that I've eaten all of the equivalent of a chicken thigh, a serving of mashed potatoes and gravy, half a cup of macaroni and cheese, five chocolate truffles (shhh), a handful of potato chips, a biscuit, a couple glasses of water and a glass of orange juice. All of that does not make a day's worth of meals, obviously, and I ought to note that I didn't eat ANY of that until past 2PM, as G and I weren't back home to Hubby and A until more like 3. And I didn't want to eat in the first place.

I have a horrible headache, I feel lightheaded and dizzy, and I'm nauseated by the thought of food. The orange juice was recent, too, so I know the rest of this isn't a problem with blood sugar. Sigh.

So tonight I offer a post from Peaceful Parenting on an awesome Boston-area mom who birthed her first child, a 13 pound baby boy. Four hours of labor and ten minutes of pushing. Way to rock it, and show all those naysayers who claim that size is a problem!

Hopefully I'll have something more interesting to say tomorrow. Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment